I had arthroscopic knee surgery yesterday to remove a piece of torn cartilage from a skiing accident eight years ago. After pregnancy and the radical changes it caused my body to undertake, it seems that my joint alignment had shifted enough that a little tear got quite a bit worse, or maybe just more irritating. I haven't been able to run for nearly a year. Eight weeks of intense physical therapy didn't fix a thing. So now I sit, bandaged and hopeful. I can already walk without crutches, slowly and carefully.
Having just finished the first draft of my second dissertation chapter, this week feels like a new beginning. New knee, new chapter. I'm so hopeful for a full recovery that I went ahead and registered myself to be chased by bloody, screaming, tattered zombies for three miles in the middle of the August heat.
I finally feel like I'm moving past the awfulness of the past year. I never thought I'd be living in Webster Groves, but I like it here. We have wonderful renters in our city house. My baby is a little boy, healthy and talking and running and so full of life. The financial question mark of my final year of dissertation writing has been erased by a generous Mellon Fellowship that I still cannot believe I won. I will run again. My husband continues to be awesome. And this spring weather. This frighteningly warm and fragrant spring weather. I hope we get to enjoy it for a while before the sweltering sets in.
Wednesday, March 28, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love your narrative voice - (chanting) blog more, blog more, blog more!
ReplyDelete